Thursday, February 25, 2016

Wreck and Order

After I had been reading Wreck and Order for many, many days I realized I was only about a third of the way thought it.

I also realized I would not make it all the way through this novel.

First, I loathed the main character.  She was the dictionary definition of the "poor little rich girl."  She doesn't have to work because her dad casually drops her checks for thousands of dollars at a time.  She's not happy in the relationship she's in, so she travels to places like Sri Lanka in hopes to "get over" a man.

I think the point was that she was looking for, and unable to find, emotional fulfillment, but all I got from it is "the sex isn't good enough."

And there is quite a bit of sex in this novel.  Elsie, (our main character) is very casual with sex, even though she seems to be looking for some emotional meaning.  Most of her sexual encounters seems to end with her being annoyed or angry that she didn't climax.

When she found herself becoming too comfortable in a relationship she did things to sabotage it, and then threw herself a little pitty party when it came (seemingly) to an end.

That  is when I decided to give up on this book.  (somewhere around page 107 of a 290 page novel)

I didn't hate this novel the same way I did A Girl is a Half Formed Thing.  I could possibly pick it up again in the future, picking up where I left off, or starting fresh from the beginning.  But for now, I've just got to move on to the next book in my to be read pile.

----
Wreck and Order is available on amazon in Kindle, Hardcover, Audible and MP3 CD.

Don't have a Kindle?  Download the Free Kindle App available on most devices.
Don't have Audible?  Try Audible Now and Get Two Free Audiobooks

--

Love to read?  Come Join the Facebook Group: Lets Talk about Books
It is a casual place to discuss books and reading in general.

--

I received a copy of this novel free from Blogging for Books, but all thoughts and opinions on it are my own.

2 comments:

Sandy Segur said...

That sounds like an interesting book.

Martha said...

I need to get back to reading more, just set a time and read!