Friday, September 9, 2016

Used Bookstore Haul (with video) - September 2016

My husband and I adore used book stores.  Sadly they are hard to find in this day and age, and most of them that pop up are devoured by Barnes and Nobel.

Yesterday we learned that our current used book fave, Wiley's Book Exchange, is closing its doors in December.  Today we decided to make another visit before they were gone.

Sorry for the blur.  My phone has horrid
low light shooting, and my husband
randomly entered the scene.
It had been a couple of months since we were last in, we've not had a lot of extra book money.  And the place looked a little unkempt from the last time I was there.  It was darker than usual, several overhead lights had gone out.  Some Christmas lights had been strung from the ceiling to help.

Since the shelves are all black (a choice I have always questioned) that made it even darker than usual there.

The shelves were still full, but a little messier than last time we were in.

I think we were the only people there other than two people working.  (Which is probably why they are going out of business.)

This is where I've gotten most of my Janet Evonavich novels, and where hubby got a lot of his Clive Cussler books.  He went in without a plan today.  I went in with my yellow folder which is books that I want to have but don't have.  Mostly Dean Koontz novels, and the rest of the Evanovich novels.

Hubby got a Lone Ranger little golden book, a Star Wars comic book, and 2 Star Trek novels.

They didn't have many of the books on my lists, but I did come out with a small stack.


I only brought home 5 books.  I found TONS more that I would have liked to have gotten, but we are still on a teeny tiny budget, so I had to be a little choosy.

Keep reading here for the titles that I picked out and why.  At the end of the entry is a VIDEO of me reading the back cover copy of each book if you want to know what they are actually about.


As far as Janet Evanovich goes, they didn't have Four to Score which is the only early one I was missing.  They also didn't have Explosive Eighteen.  But They did have Takedown Twenty, so I got at least one more By the Numbers book in my collection.  They also had one of her early romances, originally written under the name Steffie Hall. Normally I don't like romance novels, but Evanovich's characters always make me laugh out loud.  I didn't have Hero at Large, so I grabbed it.


Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen was one of those books I just happened to see on the shelf, and had one of those "I didn't know this was a BOOK!" moments.  I've seen and loved the movie, so of course I grabbed the book.  Because the books are always so much better than the movie, right?  We'll see.


Don't judge a book by its cover, they say.  But the only reason I grabbed Goth Girl Rising off the shelf was because of this spooky blue and white face glaring out at me.  The cover text sounded interesting enough to keep it.  If the book sucks I can always frame the cover.


And this sassy redhead was on the shelf beside Goth Girl Rising.  She looked like she was DARING me to buy her.  Her and her fancy cat.  I almost put Would-Be Witch back becaue at $6 it was the most expensive book in my stack.  But I'm in the process of writing a witchy novel of my own.  So this would be counted as research, right?  Maybe it'll be good enough to account for the smirk on her face.

Now, if you want to know what each of these lovely covers is actually about, watch my video below:

2 comments:

Olivia Morris said...

I love used book stores too, but here they are also going out of buisness faster than you can say pop! Glad you got your fix in before they are gone....:(

Sandy Segur said...

I love going to used book stores. We don't have anything like that here. The library has a book sale twice a year.