Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The Fifth Petal

The Fifth Petal is a novel by Brunonia Barry.

On Halloween night a teenaged boy dies unexpected, and some town members blame Rose Whelan.
Rose Whelan also happened to have been involved in an unsolved murder case from 1989.

Callie Cahill had thought Rose to be dead, so she returns to Salem for the first time since she was taken away when she was 5.

While some people thought Rose killed the young man, and the "Goddesses" many years before, Callie loved Rose like a mother and insists she didn't kill the goddesses but rescued Callie from the person who did.

John Rafferty, Salem's sheriff, also thinks Rose is innocent.  He wants to help Callie find the missing piece of the puzzle or the "Fifth Petal" of the rose.  However, the town is beginning to think he is biased, and his time to solve the riddle is running short.

The Fifth Petal is the third in a series of books that circles around the same town and characters.  I have not read the first two books in the series, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the tale.

I felt for Callie and for Rose.  I with they could have both had a happier ending.

I was pretty sure I had figure out who the real killer was, and I turned out to be right.

There were a couple of side characters in the novel I wish I could have gotten to know better.  If there is ever another book featuring them I will probably read it.

I give this novel a 4 out of 5.
--
I received a copy of this novel free from Blogging for Books, but all thoughts and opinions on it are my own.
 --

No comments: