Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Ninth City Burning

An alien race had come to make Earth theirs.  The war has raged for five centuries.  It was nearly the end of the world.

Growing up in this shattered environment isn't easy for anyone.  Some, like Jax, grew up in an elite military academy, training for battle.  Others, like Naomi, grew up nomadic roaming the wilds of a ruined Earth, it means a daily fight for survival.

When paths cross Jax and Naomi, along with other fighters and survivors must find a way to turn back the invasion.  Otherwise their home will finally be completely destroyed.

Ninth City Burning does the thing that so many books do these days that I hate.  It hops back and forth from different POV.  Starting out with different characters in different cities who all eventually converge.  

Frankly I would have like to have seen more of Naomi's story.  I was annoyed that the tale around her and her tribe converged so quickly with the high-tech society.  SO I guess I would have lieked a post apocalyptic survival story instead of a Sci-fi tale.

The overall story was interesting.  How the world handled a multi-year inter-dimensional war.  The underlying theme of "OMG YOU'RE TOO YOUNG FOR WAR, but we're gonna make you do it anyway" got to be really annoying after a while.  Especially since this is a thick 500+ page read.

I could see Ninth City Burning making a big-budget big screen movie one day, maybe, but it didn't really make me want to change my favorite reading genre to Sci-fi.

I did get this book for free from blogging for books, but all thoughts and opinions are mine.

No comments: