Friday, December 5, 2014

DEAD(ish) By Naomi Kramer

DEAD(ish) by Naomi Kramer is a ghost story of sorts.  It is a short read, approximately only 46 pages if it were a print book.

What is DEAD(ish) About?

Imagine what it must be like to have your boyfriend murder you. Only, even though you are dead you can't move on because you are oddly obsessed with your mortal body, which is now missing. To make matters worse, your murder knows where the body is and he's not telling!

Linda is having that problem, but she thinks she has found a solution! She's going to torment her murderous (ex) boyfriend until he tells her where her body is!

Mike isn't spilling the beans though. Its not as if he MEANT to kill her. It was a pure accident and not HIS fault that she fell off of her own shoes when he slapped her!

Trent is caught between the living and the dead, and he's pretty sure that nobody is telling the truth which isn't making his job of finding Linda's body for her any easier.

****
Linda is dead, and she can't move on until she's found her body.
Mike killed her, but he's not telling where he hid her body.
There is only one thing left to do. She's going to haunt him until he tells her what she needs to know.
****

What Did I Think?

"Dead(ish)" was the very first book I read on my Kindle device. It is a short and fairly fast paced read, so I finished it in less than one day.

I'll start by saying there is a lot of talent to be seen in this work. I was reminded a bit of Christopher Moore's writing style.

Naomi Kramer did a fine job outlining a story here, but it does feel like its only an outline. It was good enough to keep me reading long enough to finish it instead of just moving on to my next title, but not quite good enough to make me want to immediately buy the next one.

The thing that bothered me most is that there was no character development at all. I didn't feel anything for Mike, Trent, Linda or any of them at all.

Secondly, the back story was hardly there at all. I'm still not 100% sure exactly what happened to Linda, and even though I know why, it was a very weak plot point.

There is also quite a lot of cursing and sexual content. (Which is no bother to me, but possibly a turn off for other readers.)

****

You don't have to have a kindle e-reader to read kindle books from Amazon.com - Read eBooks using the FREE Kindle Reading App on Most Devices

****

(this review was originally published on Squidoo as nonersays, then moved to Hubpages as Noner, and now being re-posted here and removed from Hubpages)

1 comment:

Marsha Cooper said...

This is still on my kindle app...it was pretty entertaining, I will give it that.